Natural Treatment Options For Dehydration
Dehydration takes place when there is more loss of fluid in the body than the intake of fluid. Remaining dehydrated can be critical to your complete fitness and health.
Dehydration may be caused due to the following reasons- diarrhea, a vigorous workout in hot climate, vomiting, increased urination and increased sweating.
The symptoms vary on the basis of the severity of the condition. Some common signs of mild- moderate dehydration include fatigue, less urination, muscle cramps, constipation, dizziness, headaches, thirst, dry skin, constipation or light-headedness.
Signs of chronic or severe dehydration include confusion, extreme thirst, no or little urination, very dry mouth, sunken eyes, and dry skin with no elasticity, rapid heartbeat, low BP, rapid breathing, unconsciousness or even delirium.
Following are some of the natural treatment options for dehydration:
1. Improve your water intake
The first and foremost step to cure dehydration is to increase the intake of water in the body. Usually, water is sufficient to rehydrate adults. However, you should consume enough amount of water even when you don’t feel typically thirsty.
- Take small sips of clear fluids and water all over the day.
- Drink electrolyte or carbohydrate containing fluids.
- Suck some popsicles made of sports drinks or juices.
- Suck on ice chips or chilled bottled water at regular intervals.
2. Homemade ORS
Instant restoration of the lost minerals and fluids is essential while suffering from dehydration. To achieve this, one simple way is to make a homemade ORS- oral rehydration solution.
- Put 1 teaspoon of salt & 6 spoons of sugar in 4 cups of water.
- Thoroughly stir until the sugar and salt dissolve fully.
- Consume this homemade ORS many times in a day till you recover fully.
- Also you can buy readymade ORS approved by WHO- World Health Organization.
Yogurt is an efficient home remedy for dehydration due to vomiting or diarrhea. Yogurt is a good source of electrolytes. Additionally, it soothes the stomach for easy digestion.
- Eat plain yogurt few times in a day. Also, cottage cheese can be added to it.
- One more option is to consume plain boiled rice and yogurt after adding the little salt.
4. Watery vegetables and fruits
While suffering from mild-moderate dehydration, improve the intake of water-abundant vegetables and fruits.
Such vegetables and fruits contain minerals, sugars, and hydrating salts. So they act in a similar way such as isotonic fluids suggested by athletes.
Some vegetables and fruits with increased water content are cantaloupe, water melon, grape fruit, strawberries, oranges, grapes, cucumber, lettuce, celery, spinach, tomatoes, radishes, and zucchini.
Bananas are one more fruit which can be used for the treatment of mild dehydration. There is a huge loss of minerals in the body like potassium because of dehydration. Bananas are rich in potassium and thus help in restoring the essential mineral. Also, it helps in restoring the normal functioning of the muscles which is caused due to the excessive water loss.
- Eat some bananas in the day.
- Also you can consume banana smoothies.